Its time for a recipe!
Look at the burst blobs of blueberries! (alliteration)
I came across this recipe on Dawn’s blog a while back, and I decided to give it a go.
Homemade Blueberry Bread
Recipe (makes 12 slices)
1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (or more if you’re a vanilla fan)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the blueberries with a whisk in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- In the ‘dry ingredients’ bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine all the ingredients by mixing. Note: DO NOT OVERMIX. About 25 seconds of mixing should do the job. There may seem to be some lumps here and there but it’s totally fine – it’s meant to be like that!
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a baking tin with oil or butter and pour in your batter.
- Gently tap the baking tin to remove any air bubbles within the batter.
- Bake for about 40 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
This is definitely a healthier bread recipe since yogurt substitutes the butter/oil. Of course, that comes at a cost since this bread is denser than most. However, it still tastes good, and is even better eaten when its toasted and topped with peanut butter.
Another suggestion is that you could spread honey on the top of the bread after baking to add some sweetness.
Do give it a try and let me know how it went! 😀
Have a great day.